Midtown is looking for a General Manager to lead the flagship Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago overseeing all club operations, financial performance, and ensuring execution of the highest level of service and hospitality.
About Our Company
We work at Midtown to inspire people to transform their lives—and we do our job well. Our members stay longer than any other major athletic club chain in North America because we are committed to providing resort-like environments, personal attention, and strong communities at every one of our clubs. We believe all three of those pillars start with attracting and growing rock star talent at every level of our organization.
About Our Club
Midtown Athletic Club in Chicago was the first Midtown club. Originally opened in 1970 as Midtown Tennis Club, Midtown was immediately one of the largest and most iconic tennis clubs in the world. Billie Jean King said, “Midtown is the yardstick against which all other clubs should be measured.” Midtown Chicago completed an $85 million dollar renovation and expansion in 2017 which included the addition of multiple signature group fitness studios, high end food and beverage experiences, and a 55-room boutique hotel. Upon reopening the new Midtown, Phillip Mills, owner of Les Mills, described Midtown as “the best club in the world.”
The General Manager of our Chicago Club and Hotel is the ultimate role in hospitality and club operations. This person will lead the operational direction for one of the world’s largest and most successful athletic clubs. The scope of the role is broad; however, our most successful managers are laser focused on what makes the greatest impact on the experiences of our associates, members, and guests.
You will love this job if:
- You are Passionate About Helping Others. You love to coach and find passion in helping others grow.
- You look take a Glass Half Full approach to challenges. You are excited by looking for solutions to problems.
- You believe in being Better than Yesterday. You love to look for areas of improvement or identify gaps that can be improved.
- You like to Win Together. You are competitive and winning as a team gives you a great sense of purpose.
- You are Kind. You enjoy establishing relationships with others and don’t mind telling the kind truth to help someone grow.
Your primary responsibilities are:
- Coach: Hiring, onboarding, retaining, and coaching a highly functioning, cohesive leadership team.
- Strategy Evangelist: Ensuring that associates at all levels of the organization have clarity towards our goals and important messages are cascaded.
- Growth Mindset: Aligning with the sales function to create a club-wide culture focused on net membership growth, and establishing best practices for member acquisition and new member onboarding.
- Hospitality Fanatic: Evaluating the member and guest experience through the customers’ eyes, innovating against feedback, and identifying and reacting to gaps in service levels.
You’ll also help us progress in our Quest to Elevate the Experience by:
- Implementing Standard Operating Procedures to ensure profitability and sound financial growth of the club.
- Analyzing, developing, and maintaining systems and procedures to improve operating efficiency.
- Assisting in preparing annual budgets and reporting on period performance through regular variance statements.
- Being responsible for analyzing a great deal of information daily to assess and proactively respond to the health of the business.
- Regularly conducting competitive analysis to identify and leverage club’s advantage in the marketplace.
- Managing operational expenses by mitigating procedural inefficiencies and wasteful expenditures.
General Manager Requirements:
- Minimum of 10 years of hands-on General Management experience with a successful track record of leading multi-million-dollar club/business operations.
- Successful completion of a bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Sports Management, or related fields.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in personnel management, including hiring, supervision, performance management and evaluations.
- Experience in hotel management and hospitality a plus.
- Possess a strong financial acumen with the ability to quickly identify and effectively respond to financial variances.
- Expertise using data to identify and utilize key performance indicators to drive business results.
- Functional understanding of process improvement, marketing, branding, sales management, and organizational re-engineering.
- Ability to lead complex business operations with a history of reducing expenses, growing revenue, and increasing profits.
- Must be an astute, results-oriented, visionary leader with a history of achieving organizational objectives in competitive markets.
- Demonstrate effective decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Possess ability to build high-performance teams and effectively manage associate performance.
- Possess self-confidence with a high degree of competitiveness.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively share skills and knowledge with others.
- Possess proficient interpersonal and relationship building abilities.
- Possess ability to actively listen to others and build rapport.
- Possess an eye for detail.
- Sees no function too big or too small and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Is willing to actively participate and engage in all facets of club business.
This job description is intended to describe the general requirements for the position. It is not a complete statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Other duties not listed here may be assigned as necessary to ensure the proper operations of the department.
MIDTOWN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.