Midtown Athletic Clubs is in search of an Assistant General Manager of Hospitality to join our leadership team in Chicago.
Midtown is a diverse team of individuals committed to inspiring members through movement, community, and personal attention. This is our purpose, and it drives everything we do. Each associate, whether an entry-level employee or a seasoned manager, contributes to our culture. We encourage each other toward personal and professional growth, social engagement, and service to others.
Midtown Athletic Club - Chicago was originally constructed in 1970 as a 150,000 square foot indoor tennis facility. Recently, we went through an impressive transformation making Midtown the largest premium athletic club in the country. Showcasing everything in one location, the new 650,000 square foot sports resort includes spa/salon/barber services, a 55-room upscale hotel, a full service restaurant, indoor and outdoor pools, golf simulators, ice rink, basketball court, state-of-the-art fitness and the best racquet sports programs in North America.
The Assistant General Manager of Hospitality is a senior leadership role in the Midtown Athletic Club/ Chicago location responsible for planning, leading and coordinating the core business operations for the Hotel, the Spa, food and beverage, retail sales, the facility and housekeeping departments. This accomplished leader will own the ‘hospitality’ experience for both members and hotel guests. Midtown Chicago will deliver authentic, genuine, caring and sustainable hospitality and the AGM of Hospitality will be the ambassador in ensuring that this culture is nurtured and delivered across all department teams.
Attention to improving department/club financial results through strategic planning, effectively optimizing and developing personnel resources, managing expenses, increasing revenue, streamlining processes and establishing standards to raise operational excellence and improve member satisfaction are all expected and routine duties. Responsible for the planning and seamless delivery of the member and guest experience across all responsible areas within the club operations.
- Create, build and develop a culture of hospitality throughout all departments
- Be an inspirational leader and figure head who openly connects with associates, members and fellow leaders.
- Ability to set forth and deliver word class standards of quality, operations and service.
- Maintain an awareness of similar Clubs and current trends in the Boutique Hotel market including unique and dynamic programming for food & beverage, spa, retail and other ancillary activities to both drive revenues and enhance overall member and guest experience.
- Build and maintain strong community relationships and promotion of the club brand; utilize public relations resources/opportunities to drive forward the business and brand.
- Create, implement, and direct Standard Operating Procedures internally or as directed by company to ensure sound financial club improvement and membership enhancements.
- Ensure SOP’s are built from the ground up to enable sustainable and authentic hospitality and service.
- Actively participate and be engaged in frontline work as circumstances dictate, leading by example in setting the bar for all behaviors.
- Ensure personnel behavior and department operations align with Midtown values and objectives. Be an ambassador for the Midtown brand to both members and associates.
- Analyze, develop and maintain systems/procedures to improve operating efficiency and service delivery.
- Routinely conduct local competitive analysis to identify and leverage club’s advantage in marketplace and optimize brand opportunities.
- Manage operating expense by mitigating poor personnel performance, procedural inefficiencies, and wasteful expenditures.
- Establish short term and long range goals and action plans and effectively execute with managers accountable for positive financial results and continuity of meaningful service.
- Prepare annual budgets, regular variance statements and annual audits.
- Actively pursue member/associate input to address concerns and improve quality of service experience. Partner with AGM/Athletics to determine road map to success.
- Resolve personnel issues by fostering open communication and clearly establishing performance expectations for all team leads.
- Improve business results through collaborative team building and associate mentoring and development.
- Foster education-based associate training and succession programs based around Midtown Mission Statements and ORRCA.
- Administer associate performance reviews for direct reports and provide meaningful and measurable business goals for each leader.
- Participate in annual department budget preparation for Hotel, Spa, F &B, Retail, Facility & Housekeeping.
- Manage and drive all event based initiatives for Hotel, Food & Beverage, Spa, and Retail ensuring compliance with all revenue and COG targets.
- Author monthly financial variance reports and drive strategic initiatives to influence revenue departments and payroll optimization.
- Collaboratively manage the maintenance of all Laundry facilities/ equipment and maintain standards of club and hotel cleanliness.
- Recruit, hire and train department personnel who epitomize the ORRCA values.
- Routinely close/ author member experience scores (Medallia) surveys assigned, author WeInspire recognitions, participate in the MOD schedule, and attend key club events. Develop root-cause analysis focus groups to tackle all member feedback where hospitality and friendliness metrics can be influenced.
- Maintain and improve Medallia scores.
- Follow all club/company policies and procedures as outlined in Employee Manual(s).
- Accept and complete any special assignments as deemed appropriate by General Manager.
Job Qualifications: Upon hire, the AGM of Hospitality should:
- Possess a Bachelor's degree; Hospitality/Hotel management focus preferred.
- 12 years hospitality related experience and 8 years management experience.
- Articulate; demonstrate excellent communication skills.
- Have mathematical aptitude; ability to interpret/ understand financial spreadsheets.
- Possess a positive “can do” attitude.
- Is organized and detail oriented.
- Customer service orientation and driven by a world-class hospitality culture.
- Ability to work with others as a team player and adapt leadership style as needed.
In addition, the ideal candidate will possess some or all of the following skills/attributes:
- Exercise advocate
- Sales and promotional aptitude
- Networker and recruiter
The ideal candidate’s characteristics are:
- Optimistic, Reliable, Relentless, Curious and Adaptable
Full-time Midtown associates are eligible to receive a competitive compensation package and benefits plan including: group health, dental, life, vision, prescription drug program, flexible spending account, short/long term disability, matching 401k, professional development account, and a complimentary club membership.
Bring your unique personality to Midtown and strengthen your career.
MIDTOWN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.